Open Call details
All entries will be reviewed by a jury of three photography and fine arts professionals to identify a shortlist. This list will be announced on or around January 15, 2018, and the shortlisted images will be posted on the Georgia Straight’s website for public voting. The winner will be announced in February 2018.
The winning photograph(s) will be installed on the exterior of the King Edward Canada Line Station and be reproduced in the 2018 Capture Magazine and website. The photographer will be paid a $600 artist fee. The artwork will be installed for the April 2018 Capture Photography Festival and remain on display for six months.
- All entries are subject to a $25 fee paid at time of submission.
- Please include a short artist statement along with your submission (no longer than 200 words).
- Please also include the following information for each image: Artist name, Title, Year.
- You may choose to submit a single image, but please do not submit more than five.
- Entries with multiple images will be considered as a cohesive photo series; please do not submit more than one photo series per application.
The Fine Print
By submitting to the competition, you certify that you are the sole creator and owner of this artwork. Additionally, you are authorizing Capture Photography Festival to use the image(s) for activities related to the Capture Canada Line Photography Open Call, the Capture Photography Festival, and the promotion thereof. You retain ownership of your image(s). Capture Photography Festival assumes no ownership rights of the images submitted to the competition or to the winning image(s). Any reproduction of the images gathered through the competition will be fully credited to their authors.
Each entry must comply with the following requirements:
- Photographs must be submitted in digital format. The photograph need not be taken with a digital camera; scans of negatives, transparencies, or photographic prints are acceptable. All digital files must be 1 MB or smaller, must be in JPEG format, and must be at least 1,600 pixels wide (if a horizontal image) or 1,600 pixels tall (if a vertical image). However, entrants must have access to larger version of the image file(s) that could be enlarged without pixelation to cover a total of 82 square feet.
- Photographs that include sculptures, statues, paintings, and other works of art will be accepted as long as they do not constitute copyright infringement or fraud. Entrants must be prepared to provide a release form as described below in “Release.” When photographing the work of others, it must be as an object in its environment and not a full-frame close-up of another person’s art.
- The photograph, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the competition entrant. By entering the competition, the entrant represents, acknowledges, and warrants that the submitted photograph is an original work created solely by the entrant, that the photograph does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity, or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the photograph.
- The photograph must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of the competition organizer, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content.
If the photograph contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the photograph, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition of the photograph. If any person appearing in any photograph is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Upon request, each entrant must be prepared to provide a signed release from all persons who appear in the photograph submitted, and/or from the owner of any material that appears in the photograph entry.