The Capture Photography Festival is seeking a qualified and enthusiastic Festival Program Manager for the April 2018 Festival. This is a temporary maternity leave position beginning August 2017 to June 20, 2018, with the possibility of extension.
Application deadline: June 12, 2017
About the Capture Photography Festival
Launched in 2013, the annual not-for-profit Festival strives to nurture emerging talent, engage community, and spark public dialogue about photography as an art form and a vessel for communication. The April 2017 edition presented photography at over 70 galleries and community spaces throughout Vancouver as part of the Festival’s Selected and Open Exhibition Programs, and further included public installations, tours, films, artist talks, panel discussions and the inaugural Vancouver Photo Book Fair. The next Festival will take place over the course of the month of April, 2018.
The Program Manager will work closely with Executive Director to ensure all Festival Priorities are met, including but not limited to management of key Festival programs, sponsorship relationships, and staff. The Program Manager will ensure that strategic vision is being considered, partnerships are strengthened, and the Festival is a success.
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Events and Volunteer Coordinator, Administrative Assistant, and Marketing and Social Media Coordinator
The role will include:
- Managing production and administration of all public art projects
- Working with curators to develop overarching themes for public art installations, potentially including the Canada Line, Capture New West (in partnership with the City of New Westminster), and No. 3 Road Art Columns (in partnership with City of Richmond).
- Writing and managing calls for submissions for public art projects
- Liaising with partners including artists, galleries, curator(s), sponsors, institutions, and municipalities
- Overseeing public art budgets to ensure they are met
- Writing select grant narratives alongside Festival Special Projects Manager
- Creating sponsorship packages and agreements
- Overseeing day-to-day operations and ensuring staff deliverables are met (including social media, press and media, marketing, digital assets, advertising)
- Festival schedule management including timelines for all projects and grant schedule (alongside Festival Special Projects Manager)
- Festival-run exhibitions and events management (could include Launch Party, pop-up exhibitions, etc.), alongside Festival Special Projects Manager and with support of Events Coordinator
- Attending, and when needed, assisting at all Capture organized events
- Attending as many exhibitions and events within Capture program as schedule permits
- General administration
The ideal candidate would possess the following attributes and skills:
- Postsecondary level education in Art History, Visual Art, or related discipline
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in a similar role
- Familiarity with photography in Vancouver and Canadian art history
- Experience in multi-stakeholder event coordinationand management
- Strong organizational and time management skills; being able to manage multiple projects and competing priorities within short timelines
- Experience managing staff and volunteers
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills; being able to exercise sound judgment, tact, and discretion when dealing with others
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Familiarity withWordpress content management, Mailchimp, and online Project Management tools (Basecamp and Slack)
- Ability to work with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- Familiarity with social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Must be prepared to use a personal laptop
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is an asset
Commensurate with experience.
How to apply
Send CV and one-page cover letter to Kim Spencer-Nairn, Executive Director, Capture Photography Festival, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm on June 12, 2017. Subject line: Program Manager Application.