Reporting directly to Capture Photography Festival’s Executive Director, the TD Assistant Curator of Engagement assists with researching, developing, planning and executing public programs, events and public-facing communications to offer meaningful engagement with all aspects of the Festival. This role is one intended for someone seeking growth opportunities within an arts organization. This position is made possible with the support of Presenting Sponsor TD Bank Group through its corporate citizenship platform the TD Ready Commitment, which is helping to amplify diverse voices within cultural organizations.
Please note that while all candidates will be considered, preference will be given to candidates that are from a traditionally underrepresented community. Please feel free to indicate in your application if you identify as belonging to a traditionally underrepresented community, or facing barriers to accessing professional curatorial or arts administrative experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to and supervised by Capture’s Executive Director, the TD Assistant Curator of Engagement is responsible for:
– Coordinating the planning and production of Capture-produced events for the 2023 Festival including talks and tours which may be live or online;
– Donor/sponsor appreciation events;
– Coordinating the planning and delivery of videos for the 2022 Festival;
– Preparing copy for communication and marketing for Capture’s website, social media and event listings;
– Participating in catalogue production as required;
– Attendance at exhibitions and events during the month of April 2022; and
– General Festival event assistance and administration as required
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
– Degree or commensurate experience, professional and / or expertise in fine arts, liberal arts, curatorial studies or related arts
– Knowledge of and strong interest in contemporary art, especially lens-based practices
– Interest and engagement with local arts community
– Experience in event planning and production
– Experience in public engagement and educational program planning and delivery in art gallery or museum settings
– Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
– Exemplary organization skills
– Knowledge of professional practices and standards in the field
– Demonstrated ability to work flexibly
– Excellent planning and time management, with the ability to multitask, and prioritize within a busy working environment
– A willingness to carry out a wide variety of tasks
– Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking
– Capacity to work calmly under pressure
– Self-starter, seeks opportunity and is proactive
– Ability to work collaboratively both with a small internal team of colleagues and external stakeholders including artists and curators
– A valid criminal record check (or the ability to obtain one)
Desirable Skills and Experience:
– Knowledge of local, national and international artists and arts organizations, particularly as relates to lens-based practices
– Experience working directly with artists, writers, curators, and other cultural producers
– Knowledge of marketing and audience development in the arts
– Familiarity with Zoom, Vimeo, Photoshop, WordPress, Asana
Title: TD Assistant Curator of Engagement
Reporting to: Executive Director
Contract Terms: $25/hr, 2 days (on average 14 hours) per week (possibility of increased hours as we get closer to the Festival). This position begins mid-September 2022 and ends May 31, 2023
Work Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. This is an in person position. Please note the office is, unfortunately, not wheelchair accessible but accommodations will be made for those with mobility issues.
Application Deadline: July 22, 2022, 5 PM PST
Interview Dates: August-September, 2022
Capture Photography Festival sincerely thanks all those who apply, but only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested candidates may submit a cover letter and c.v. in one document as a PDF stating TD ASSISTANT CURATOR in the subject line to [email protected].